Saturday, December 24, 2022

Garden Summer 2022

Here are pictures of Uri's Garden last summer in its prime:


We have tried to grow corn three years in a row, and failed every time. This year was the closest we got to success, though! The corn was coming along nicely until some critter got into it... a racoon, I think.


California Poppies are one of my favorite plants. Such bright and lovely little faces to brighten my yard! I had a nice crop of them which I enjoyed for some time, but in the end I pulled them out as they started to fade. They were kind of getting in the way of my morning glories anyway, so they had to go.



I absolutely love morning glories. They are my #1 favorite plant, and not just because of the flowers, but very much because of the vines as well. I love vines. I love how they always reach forward. They always reach up. No matter what, they keep reaching. Even if there's nothing there to grab, they will still throw their tendrils up into the sky and reach around in all directions until they find something to grab onto. Further up and further in! I feel like the Lord calls the garden of my heart to imitate the morning glories. For all of creation declares the glory of God, and just as the morning glories are always reaching up, so I too should always be reaching forward. Reaching, growing, traveling, and putting forth a sweet aroma unto the Lord.



Jacob acquired a manual lawnmower, as our grass was getting pretty tall.


Wildflower mix. 


Sugar Snap Peas, Nasturtium, etc.


Roses, nasturtium, lemon verbena, etc.


And my morning glory flowers! They bloom in the morning, as their name implies, and fade by the evening. It was always so pleasant to see them as I headed to work each morning at 6:00am, until the days grew shorter and it became too dark for them to have bloomed yet. And they also eventually switched their energy from making flowers to making seed packets. But in their prime, there was one morning where I counted 50 flowers. It was marvelous! Morning glories are... well, they are one of my joys of life. They are one of the ways the Lord romances and comforts my soul. Morning glories declare the glory of God, singing a song in a language my heart hears and knows and sings along with. They are a gift.

1 comment:

  1. I'll never look at morning glories the same way again! I also love plants with vines... My entire yard is covered in ivy. I look forward to looking out at it tomorrow and thinking about what you've said.

    ReplyDelete

Shiloh 1 Month Old

Shiloh Ocean's first visit to the ocean! Dada put a flower in her hair.