Saturday, November 4, 2023

Childhood

I want my daughter to have a vibrant childhood. I want her to pursue her curiosities, read so many books, make mud pies, climb and run and dance and sing. I want her to know she is capable and has the ability to learn and master new skills with her hands and new intellectual pursuits with her mind. I want her to know that she can be kind and generous. I want her to be responsible and confident, for it to be second-nature for her to give and receive honor. I want her to do all the crafts she sets her mind to, pursue various hobbies, and know that she is always learning. I want her imagination to be stirred and touched by the literature she reads and that we read together as a family. I want to be so intentional in the first 5 years - the most formative years - to establish a rhythm and routine and value system that will define our family. Principles of honor, accountability, compassion, and more.

I have studied various parenting styles, both by reading/listening/researching, and also hands on as a nanny to various families over the years. And, of course, by being a parent to Shiloh's big brother Uri. Maybe someday, when I am an empty nester, I will write a parenting book myself. But for now I can do no better than to point to my three favorite parenting books. For the Children's Sake is 100% pure gold, I would hand out copies to everyone alive if I could. Hunt, Gather, Parent is a very practical book of which one must "eat the meat and spit out the bones" so to speak. But I tell you, the meat is so SO good! Shepherding a Child's Heart does an excellent job outlining solid biblical parenting, and blended with the heart and soul of the other two books is a wonderful backbone.

I am enjoying my cuddly little baby to be sure, so so so much! And at the same time, I am also looking forward to raising her and enjoying each stage that is to come! The joys of childhood must be nurtured, we must make space for all the wonder that can be. As Susan Schaeffer Macaulay says, "Careful, we only get to be a child once!" 


(Jamie as a child)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shiloh 1 Month Old

Shiloh Ocean's first visit to the ocean! Dada put a flower in her hair.